Sounds good, if it is actually carried out. I especially like the idea of providing a constitutional citation on every bill. But does this pledge go far enough? Anything you think is missing?
The Republicans released their platform, calling it their "pledge to America." Here are some of the highlights according to CBS News:
- Stop job-killing tax hikes
- Allow small businesses to take a tax deduction equal to 20 percent of their income
- Require congressional approval for any new federal regulation that would add to the deficit
- Repeal small business mandates in the new health care law.
- Repeal and Replace health care
- Roll back non-discretionary spending to 2008 levels before TARP and stimulus (will save $100 billion in first year alone)
- Establish strict budget caps to limit federal spending going forward
- Cancel all future TARP payments and reform Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac
- Will require that every bill have a citation of constitutional authority
- Give members at least 3 days to read bills before a vote
- Provide resources to troops
- Fund missile defense
- Enforce sanctions in Iran
You can read the full text here. Also check out the Weekly Standard for more info.
h/t/ Notoriously Conservative