Monday, September 20, 2010

Colin Powell Admits To Hiring Illegals - Now Says He Doesn't - UPDATE

As I posted earlier today and others have posted on their blogs, Colin Powell is now saying he DOES NOT hire illegals to do his house repairs. I'd have more respect for politicians if they stuck by their words instead of everytime they receive backlash, they rebuff their comments or "clarify" them. If you hire them, fine, just don't act like you didn't or you ment to talk about a different policy. What's said is said. Geez.

Via Yahoo!: Former Secretary of State Colin Powell has clarified his recent remarks on immigration policy, saying he does not hire illegal immigrants to do repairs on his home. The onetime secretary of state for George W. Bush waded into one of the most contentious culture-war issues of 2010 during an appearance Sunday on NBC's "Meet the Press" -- the latest in a series of dissensions from conservative orthodoxy that have prompted some of his former GOP colleagues to question his party allegiance.

"I don't hire illegal immigrants," Powell said in a statement Monday. "On 'Meet the Press' yesterday, I referred to illegal immigrants working around my house. I was referring to the many service contractors who work in my neighborhood, using mostly immigrant workers, who do good work. Some may well be 'illegal.' There are 11 million illegal immigrants in this country and most are working somewhere in our economy."

The AP reported yesterday that Powell said "illegal immigrants do essential work in the U.S. and that he has firsthand knowledge of that—because they fix his house." The story became Yahoo News' most shared item last night.

Read more on Yahoo!

1 comment:

Bmac said...

Hi Trigger,

I was reading your blog today and I appreciated your posts on Colin Powell. It was nice of you to post an update to provide Powell’s clarification of his remarks. I think that most people are in the same boat as you with wishing that politicians would at least stick to what they say, or at least think twice before making comments like that. I definitely agree.

I have a video for you that I thought might be a nice addition to your posts, especially for your readers who might not have heard his comments yet: http://www.newsy.com/videos/colin-powell-under-fire-for-immigration-comments. The video combines clips and quotes from his initial appearance on Meet the Press with his follow-up explanation, as well as reactions to the comments from various news outlets. I hope you’ll consider linking to or embedding it.

Newsy.com gathers information from various news outlets, and puts it together to provide multiple views of news stories. Newsy.com analyzes the information, with the goal of providing a diverse perspective of the story to those that might normally receive their news from a single source.

If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to email me.

Thanks,
Brittany McIntyre
brittanym@newsy.com